Building a successful product is not easy. You can't just dive into developing a product and expect it to succeed. It requires planning, strategy, and execution to deliver the right product to customers at the correct time.
So a product development roadmap is a plan to develop your product. It can be as simple as listing out the features and functions you want in your product, or it can be a detailed list of every step you need to take.
Do you also have a roadmap for your product? How do you know if it's working?
This article will help you understand what roadmaps are, how to create one, and how to measure its success?
What is a Product Development?
Product development directs all of the work involved in taking a product from idea to the market. The term does not just indicate to the developers who produce or code the product. Product development is a comprehensive effort that includes multiple teams, such as marketing, design, development, QA, sales, etc.
How Does Product Development Strategy Look?
- A team determines a product opportunity, and after careful consideration, they decide it is viable. They then agree on what idea to pursue, and the concept document is completed.
- Rapid prototyping is used to develop a product model for early user feedback.
Why are Product Roadmaps Necessary?
- It takes a serious commitment from multiple departments across the organization to pull it off well. Product management and product marketing ensure the product is ready to support customer needs, engineering is responsible for building the solution and integrating it with other systems, and finance controls all financial aspects of the project.
- Your product roadmap is the most satisfactory presentation of this commitment.
- It promises your team and clients that you will be answerable for the most significant work.
Construct your Own Product Roadmap -
- If you require a reliable tool to help catch your product plans and achieve your goals, a product roadmap is a way to proceed.
- Though it is not a fixed word, it means changing. A roadmap is dynamic and will change as the product evolves.
- You should constantly modify your roadmap throughout the lifecycle of your product based on deviating customer essentials and market needs.
Who is Answerable for the Product Roadmap?
- Your work as a product manager affects other groups, so you ought to get their input and participation to furnish a complete product experience (CPE).
- The roadmap is the main area to come together around your CPE. It allows you to see what is arriving next and qualifies the whole organization to plan for the new experience you will provide.
- When you create a road map for your company, its success will be supported by the people who use it. It’s worth investing in this asset.
How do Other Teams use Product Development Roadmaps?
- Leadership teams and board members want to know how your product plans fit into the company's vision, strategy, goals, and key performance indicators.
- The marketing team emphasizes everything from your product goals to features and will examine overall customer advantages.
- This assists them in designing more impactful go-to-market campaigns.
Types of Product Roadmaps -
1. Internal Development Team Roadmap:
- This document type primarily includes the priorities of value delivered to clients, actual product release dates, and project landmarks.
- As many product teams use the Agile method, this roadmap type is broadly described by sprints.
- They allow you to get exact task areas and define stoppages within a specific timeframe.
2. Internal Product Management Roadmap:
- This roadmap type concentrates on how product teamwork promotes achieving high-level business goals and the company’s KPIs.
- Most typically, this document is arranged within a month or quarter timescale.
- This let's forecast a product’s global improvement.
- Also, internal product management roadmaps primarily comprise fewer details about the growth strategy.
3. Internal Sales Team Roadmap:
- This roadmap type is connected to new possibilities and a more helpful customer product value proposition.
- One of the critical ways to use this record is to introduce it to your target audience during a marketing campaign.
- This method will assist you in enriching engagement and increasing sales.
4. External Product Development Roadmaps:
- It will permit you to present new product attributes easily and obtain customers engaged in the future growth of a product.
Advantages of Creating Product Roadmaps -
- The main benefit of a product evolution roadmap is the strategic vision it gives to all concerned groups.
- A roadmap associates high-level product purposes with the development expenses.
- Also, it aids you in fetching internal teams together to make top-notch products.
How to Create a Successful Product Development Roadmap -
1. Set a Clear Goal for the Development of your Product -
- Before you start adding things to your roadmap, you and your team should decide on a strategic aim.
- Then you can count on every item you want to add later according to whether or not it contributes strategically to that goal.
2. Determine Which Teams and Individuals are Responsible for Particular Tasks -
- A roadmap doesn’t assist your team’s product development until every item on it has an evident owner.
- Thus, that owner should take all responsibilities for completing the task in the decided timeframe.
3. Monitor Roadmap Repeatedly and Update as Required -
- Since product development contains numerous moving parts and interdependencies, you must continually revisit your roadmap to ensure everyone is still working on the path.
4. Be Willing to Modify Plans and Priorities Based on New Facts -
- For example, if you divert a portion of your marketing resources to a higher-priority project, it may cause you to deviate from the product or organization’s marketing plan.
- You need to be willing to adjust for the product’s marketing efforts to stay on track.
5. Begin with a Product Development Roadmap Template -
- It’s a good idea to create a blueprint with a tool prepared explicitly for roadmaps instead of depending on drafting a static document from scratch.
Tools for Getting Started with Product Growth Roadmaps -
Numerous product teams use road mapping software to envision their plans. Using roadmap-building tools is the most pleasing way to maintain everyone aligned and your product roadmap automatically updated.
Hence, let's have a look at here some of the best product roadmap building software -
1. Jira -
Jira is the number one software development tool utilized by agile teams. The teams of 2 to 20,000 depend on Jira to handle each workflow stage, from designing to shipping and releasing.
With aboriginal roadmaps, the teams can expand their work to follow their work on the big picture.
Jira's no-code automation feature permits teams to conserve time and improve power by automating any task with simple clicks. Additionally, in its free edition, teams with more than ten users can leverage all the strength of Jira at no expense permanently.
2. ZenHub -
ZenHub's project management platform is excellent for disruptive software expansion teams at highly growing associations and open source projects looking to ship their code faster.
ZenHub roadmaps permit companies to plan out their long-term product plan and timeline by managing projects into a Gantt-style view.
It can help with a team's work on GitHub, assignments, and issues completed, promoting real-time visibility into the improvement of each project.
Roadmaps also deliver predictive end dates, assisting teams in getting a more acceptable idea of what code will be willing to ship.
Aha! is another world's best product development software. More than 5,000 companies depend on Aha! to create precious products and are happy doing it.
Aha’s handy features seamlessly work together to assist teams in turning basic ideas into practical new abilities for customers and the business.
You can easily set product strategy, flash creativity, crowdsource visions, prioritize attributes, share roadmaps, control releases, and plan development.
4. Confluence -
With Confluence, you can construct a page and use a product roadmap planner to plan and execute your projects.
You can cooperate with developers to set timelines, purposes, and more. You can use Confluence’s roadmap macro to watch your product go from the design stage to the execution stage transparently and concisely.
Presently, all types of functional departments of any size are utilizing Confluence. Multiple teams like technical, project management, marketing, HR, legal, and finance can get their work done efficiently.
5. Trello -
Trello works on a motto, "Manage anything, together." it is a teamwork tool that classifies your projects into boards.
Trello keeps you updated on the remaining work, who's working on it, and where something is in the process in one lookout.
You can easily watch all your projects and tasks and teams in an organized way in one place. When any new user enters, he can immediately understand the tool and start working on Trello within minutes.
Trello is convenient for teams of all lengths, makers and workers, and those who have goals to accomplish. Millions are trusting this software from all around the world.
Bottom Line -
We hope this article will help you better understand what a roadmap looks like, the essential elements of a product roadmap, and how to generate product roadmaps that lead to success.
Thus, you can try to begin with a product roadmap plan and save ample time using templates or tools, and continuously adjust them according to your business goals.